Spring area dentist describes effective gum disease treatment available through his practice
The two primary reasons patients must regularly care for their smile is not only to keep it looking great, but to avoid conditions such as tooth decay and gum disease. These two dental problems can wreak havoc on an otherwise healthy smile, so it is extremely important that patients get these problems under control as soon as possible to keep them from resulting in irreversible damage to the teeth, gums, and bone. Dr. Dernick of The Woodlands area helps patients around Spring and Conroe with effective gum disease treatment.
Patients must first understand how gum disease works. This inflammatory disease can cause bleeding gum tissue due to bacteria present. When the bacteria is not removed from the area and plaque and tartar continue to build up, the condition worsens to the point the gum tissue pulls away from the teeth, the bone disappears from underneath, and the natural teeth can become loose. At this point, the only way patients can repair their smile is with restorative techniques, but the condition must first be controlled.
Gum disease treatment will vary depending on the stage of the condition. During the earliest stage of gum disease, known as gingivitis, patients must keep an eye out for bleeding gums while brushing and flossing—this is the first indication that there is a serious problem. At this point, most patients will benefit from a thorough professional cleanings with Dr. Dernick. This will remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria from all the surfaces of the teeth. The dentist also takes this time to educate his patients on good oral health habits to keep the condition from returning.
At the later stages, patients may require subgingival scaling. This involves the dentist cleaning the roots of the teeth. Antibiotics may be taken orally by patients, or the dentist will apply antibiotics directly into the pockets of the gums for optimum results.
- Can Oral Health Keep Cancer Away?
- Woodlands area patients can visit their dentist for gum disease treatment
- Spring area dentist describes effective gum disease treatment available through his practice
- Spring area dentist describes the later stage of gum disease: periodontitis
- Benefits of Spring area patients maintaining healthy gums and teeth
- Spring area patients ask if bleeding gums is a serious problem
- How patients in the Woodlands area can maintain oral care and avoid the development of gum disease