5 Different Types of Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures at Your Dentist in The Woodlands
Everyone wants a smile they can be confident in showing off. Unfortunately, so many of us hide our smiles reluctantly for one reason or another. Maybe your teeth aren’t as white as you want them to be? Perhaps you have a cracked tooth? Whatever the case, you deserve a smile you feel good about. Getting it starts with cosmetic dentistry.
There are many approaches to cosmetic dentistry, depending on what kind of work you feel your smile needs. There is no “one size fits all” approach, because every smile is unique. To get the most out of cosmetic dentistry, it’s important to work with an expert like Dr. Dernick, the Woodlands Dentist who area residents come to for a complete range of cosmetic services.
What can Dr. Dernick do for you? When it comes to cosmetic dentistry, it breaks down to five unique types of cosmetic dentistry procedures. Here’s what each is for, and what to expect from them.
- Veneers: Veneers consist of a layer of porcelain that encases the front of the tooth, bonded to make sure it stays in place. While they’re used to address minor problems, veneers also serve aesthetic purposes, including to correct misaligned teeth, chips or cracks—or even adjust the size or color of natural teeth. Veneers are a customizable cosmetic solution and don’t take long to install, and they’ll last for as long as a decade without the need for any dentist intervention. Dr. Dernick can advise you on how to take care of your veneers, so you get the longest possible life out of them.
- Composite Bonding: Composite bonding uses resin composites to fill cavities, cracks and chips in teeth, or to repair worn down edges. Composite bonding gives a dentist a lot of freedom in restoring the shape of teeth, which again, serves both functional and cosmetic purposes. Many times, dentists use bonding as a non-invasive way to fill minor gaps between teeth, or even to smooth the rougher surface of your smile for a more consistent appearance. Bonding is a relatively quick procedure that yields instant results for your smile, and it’s easy to fix if there’s ever a situation where your bonding becomes uncomfortable.
- Bleaching and Whitening: There are several ways to get a brighter, whiter smile. In-office Zoom Whitening offers quick results that can improve teeth brightness by up to eight shades. It uses bleaching gel and a UV light to actively brighten teeth. At-home whitening trays are also an option. Patients coat trays with a medical-grade whitening gel, then wear the trays for a specific amount of time each day. It’s a more incremental approach to teeth whitening, but an effective one nonetheless. Keep in mind that both solutions are far more effective than store-bought or mail-order whitening gels!
- Dentures: Full and partial cosmetic dentures are available to create false teeth and false gum tissue to varying degrees. Partial dentures replace one or more teeth and are typically made of metal and acrylic. Because there are few teeth that need to be replaced, partial dentures often just snap into place. Full dentures are usually made of acrylics, comprised of false teeth and false gum tissue to remedy larger tooth loss. Consulting with Dr. Dernick will educate you on the correct denture choice for you, as he takes into consideration your lifestyle, preferences and your smile goals.
- Crowns and bridges: For more permanent solutions, crowns and bridges help restore your smile after tooth loss. A crown is a cover for the tooth, meant to strengthen previously weakened or broken natural teeth. Bridges consist of a false tooth bonded between two crowns, to replace a missing tooth. While they can be made of different materials, porcelain crowns and bridges tend to be the gold standard because they look exactly like your real teeth. Best of all, they’re easy to care for just like your normal teeth.
You’ll be amazed at what cosmetic dentistry can do for your smile! Whether it’s a whitening procedure or a complete smile makeover, you’ll feel better about showing off your pearly whites. Not only is this confidence and positivity good for your mental health, it’s also infectious! Nothing keeps giving quite like the gift of a happy smile.
If you’re looking for a way to boost the power of your own smile, schedule an appointment with Dr. Dernick, the Woodlands Dentist who offers a complete range of cosmetic dentistry procedures, tailored specifically to your smile.